Friday 18 May 2007

To Learn

I frequently read Kenny Sia's blog, and I am very sad to read his latest entry on his encounter of a car accident which claimed the lives of the driver and passengers.

I do not wish to elaborate on details. What I wish to point out is that there are so many things that we can learn from this car accident.

Accidents happen world-wide, and, unfortunately, this won't be the last accident that would be reported in the newspapers.

We need to take care of ourselves and our loved ones. Drive safely. This can never be emphasised enough. Don't think that it won't happen to the best of us; therefore, we need not take heed.

The sad fact is, accidents can happen to ANYONE of us. If we can do in the best of our ability to reduce the chances of accidents happening, then take those precautions.

Stick to the speed limit. Don't drink and drive. Make sure we are well-rested before embarking on a journey, and have frequent breaks in-between. We see and hear government campaigns on these issues, and it's not something to be taken lightly. Let us not jeopardise our and others' lives.

If we should ever encounter an accident, the main thing is to try and stay calm. Assess what needs to be done in order of priority. First aid training is essential, because the main thing is to ensure that the casualties and involving parties are not in any further danger, discomfort, or harm before medical help arrives. I know that health care professionals are encouraged to have first aid training; I think that the community at large should be encouraged to learn first aid, too. It helps to know how to deal with an emergency.

Lastly, I'm not claiming to be an expert in dealing with emergency, or that I claim to be an authority in life. I just feel that I as well as whoever who reads this entry need to be reminded that life is very fragile, that we need to take care of ourselves and others, and not to take life lightly.

My prayers go out to the lives that are lost, as well as the family mourning their loss.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails