Sunday 7 October 2007

Time with CH

I mentioned my special friend CH from Vietnam in one of my earliest blog entries. I talked about fate never ceasing to amaze me; after what I've been through this year, I truly believe that she's back for the reason to guide me through this difficult year. CH, if I didn't tell you this before, I will say it here (for here is where my deepest thoughts live): cám ơn bạn rất nhiều; for everything that you've done for, given to, and shown me.

I've been sleeping over at CH's place quite often. Every time I stay over, she'd cook me yummy Vietnamese dishes. She told me that she wanted to gain weight, and I told her that I wanted to lose weight. Well, she's been maintaining her weight (even losing some), and I think that I'm likely to gain weight from all the good food that she's been feeding me.

Yesterday night, I experimented with a recipe I noted from Jamie Oliver's show - Jamie at Home: the best Caesar Salad in the world. It turned out really well, if I may say so myself. It took me a while to roast the chicken drumsticks and crisp the bacon in the oven, but it was well worth it. Here is the recipe for those who would like to try it out. Credit goes to Jamie Oliver!

Ingredients:
Cos lettuce (one bunch can serve approximately three people)
Chicken drumsticks (6 for three people)
Fresh rosemary
Olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
Bread
Smoked ham / pancetta (I used bacon just because I didn't have pancetta)
Grated parmesan

For the dressing:
Anchovies (1 can of 45 g) - save the extra virgin olive oil
Garlic (1/4 - 1/2 clove)
Juice from half a lemon (one part)
Three equal parts of extra virgin olive oil
Crème fraîche (I used pure cream just because I didn't know where to get crème fraîche!!!)


Method:
  1. Set the oven at 180 degrees Celcius.
  2. Marinade the drumsticks with bruised rosemary, salt, and pepper. I added a little honey to the marinade, too. Set aside for about 30 minutes.
  3. Tear up bread into big pieces.
  4. Wash and drain cos lettuce. Cut / tear up into pieces.
  5. Grease a baking tray with olive oil. Put the drumsticks on the tray; put the bread pieces onto the tray.
  6. Put the tray into the oven. At the pre-set temperature, roast for about 30 minutes.
  7. Layer the smoked ham / pancetta / bacon onto the chicken. Roast until crispy. When bacon is nearly done, baste bacon and chicken with honey.
  8. Tear chicken meat into pieces. Cut bacon into small pieces. Cut up croutons into small pieces.
To make dressing:
  1. Open up a can of anchovies into a mortar (include the oil).
  2. Mash the anchovies in oil into a smooth paste.
  3. Add to it 1/4 - 1/2 clove of garlic for flavour. Mash to a smooth paste.
  4. Add an equal part of crème fraîche. Mix to a smooth paste.
  5. Add the juice of half a lemon and 3 equal parts of extra virgin olive oil.
  6. Mix until smooth.
Mix lettuce, chicken pieces, bacon, croutons together in a large bowl. Add dressing; top with grated parmesan. Serve. :) (Add salt and black pepper to taste; if desired).

It is so unbelievably simple and yummy. CH thought so, too... I had trouble timing the roast; but with practice... I think I will be ok. ;)


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails