Saturday 6 February 2010

Sometimes...

Congratulations to J with her second addition to her family... she commented on Facebook how she enjoys being a mother...

I wonder if I would feel the same way...

I was watching a Chinese film called "Sunflower" on SBS last night, revolving around a couple with their only son. At one stage, the son commented that he was not ready to become a father, upon knowing that his partner was expecting, and asked his partner to have an abortion. He reflected that becoming a parent is a heavy responsibility, and he would not bring a child into the world without knowing that he would be ready for the responsibility.

I wonder when one would be ready to take on such a responsibility... is it a learned response, or is it something innate?

I sometimes wonder at the people who are looking forward to getting married and starting a family, I seem to be the opposite. I ponder about mortality and how it would be like to watch the world revolve around as one ages. Is it because I am surrounded by aging people dealing with their mortality?

Perhaps I'm on the verge of discovering Enlightenment...

Which brings me to another point I have been thinking about for a while:

Why is it that so many years ago when Buddha pondered on death, he was on the path towards Enlightenment. Today, if one was to be pre-occupied with death, it would be one of the DSM criteria for depression? Could it not be that one was experiencing an epiphany of one's mortal existence?

How times have changed perceptions...


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails