Saturday 30 August 2008

Obsession


I've always had a thing for dark chocolate. Ever since KT took me to the Lindt store for some chocolate goodness, my obsession with all things chocolate (especially of the dark variety) has escalated.

Recently PY and I went to the grocery store around the corner to get some grocery, and I saw this DARS bitter chocolate bars displayed on the check-out countertop. Point-of-sales positioning is so effective. We had some on our way home, and oh my, it was very good. Bittersweet, smooth, melt-in-mouth, concoction. Even PY, who's not a fan of dark chocolate, said it was good.

I'm hoping to use some of the chocolate to make chocolate shortbread. Hopefully I'm able to get some good results. :P


I'm happy to say that I made a decent batch of chocolate shortbread, as shown in the above picture. The shortbreads in the jars are not those of Lindt and Barby, but mine!!! Compared to Lindt's, it's not as chocolate-y rich, but I'm hoping to improve on that. :P I'm pretty happy with the result, because the shortbreads are crumbly and melts in the mouth! Here is the recipe (I modified it so much that I really can't say if I have a source for the recipe :P)

Ingredients:
230g plain flour
70g corn flour
250g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
100g brown sugar
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
A pinch of sea salt
150g dark chocolate, chopped up roughly (I used some Meiji's and Cadbury's)
11/2 tsp vanilla extract

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celcius.
2. Grease a 32cm x 22cm baking tray.
3. Sift plain flour, corn flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt into the
food processor.
4. Add the brown sugar.
5. Pulse ingredients until mixed.
6. Add butter, cube by cube, and pulse ingredients until just combined.
7. Add vanilla extract, and pulse until combined.
8. Stir dark chocolate into mixture.
9. Press dough into the baking tray.
10. Prick evenly with fork.
11. Bake in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes at 160 degrees, then another 5 minutes
or so at 140 degrees.
12. Cool in tray for about 10 minutes.
13. Cut into squares.
14. Wait until shortbread cools thoroughly, then transfer into jars to store.

I think the next time, I might increase the chocolate to about 200g, maybe melt 50g to be mixed into the mixture, than the remaining 150g chopped roughly to be stirred into the mixture. I might also substitute half a teaspoon of vanilla extract with some sort of liquor, rum or marsala, perhaps? Stay tuned for the next experiment!


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails