Sunday 6 July 2008

We past the point of no return when we showed our tickets to the usher. As I sat down on my seat, my heart skipped a few beats.

I have listened to recordings of the Phantom of the Opera musical countless times during my first and second years in Sydney, so much so that I could memorise each and every word, both dialogue and songs. When the film version came out in 2004, I was ecstatic. The ultimate dream was to see the musical for myself, and my dream came true when KT said that he bought tickets for the 5th of July!

The lights went off. The theatre plunged into darkness. A single strike of the gavel transported me into musical nostalgia. For the first time I was able to piece together sound with sight. The stage setting did not leave me wanting, and each scene left with me a curious sensation that the Phantom did not only lurk on the stage, but also in the theatre. I found myself looking for the hiding Phantom in each scene!

The ending moved me to tears. The Phantom of the Opera is a tale of yearning of love unrequited. The part where the Phantom waled out "You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the music of the night" wrenched my heart.

The cast was brilliant, in that each person gave a unique interpretation of his/her character that made the character more believable. I loved it that Christine part sobbed part sang to convey frustation and helplessness. I loved it that Raoul was portrayed as the knight in shining armour, with a hint of simple-mindedness about him. I loved the dramatic Carlotta and Piangi, although I hoped that Carlotta could have been more dramatic. :P I loved the pairing of André and Firmin lending comic relief to the musical.

Needless to say, it was the Angel of Music who was the shining star. His expression when Christine kissed him at the ending was priceless, comical even.

I'd love to see the Phantom of the Opera again!

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails